Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"Want to" vs. "Have to"

Scripture:
2 Chron 35:3 He issued this order to the Levites, who were to teach all Israel and who had been set apart to serve the Lord: “Put the holy Ark in the Temple that was built by Solomon son of David, the king of Israel. You no longer need to carry it back and forth on your shoulders. Now spend your time serving the Lord your God and his people Israel. NLT

Observation:
When we read the OT we need to remember that the cross of Jesus is the filter to look through. IOW: when we see the OT Arc we can look at the NT Presence of the Lord in our lives.
Here we see King Josiah decree to the Priests (in this case the people of God), that they were no longer supposed to "carry the Arc on their shoulders" I believe this is speaking to me about the fact that the religious things I do in hopes to 1. make God happy by my religious duties. and 2. impress people while looking so religious. Here the king says Put it in the temple. this for the People of the Lord in the NT is our hearts. IOW: put the Presence of the Lord back in your heart and with that there do what you were created to do. Love God and people.

Application:
With the presence of the Lord in my heart, I want my obedient act of service to be a "want to" not a "have to". When he remains on my shoulders like the OT arc it becomes a "Have to" not a "want to".

Prayer:
Lord I want to love and serve you because I love you. I want my obedience to be motivated out of love not fear, condemnation, or a "have to". help me my Jesus. I love you

No comments: