Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fan into flames

Scripture:
2Tim 1: 5 I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you. 6 This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you. 7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

Observation:
I love here that the gift was given by the Lord. What an awesome thing that is. I also love the fact that he has levt it to us to "fan" into maturity the gift given. How is it that we are to "fan" into flames our gift? I think it is when we begin to mature in it. When we finally begin to say. "i have a gift" and start doing something to grow it into a useful part of the life God gave to you. IOW: I have been given the gift of being a Shepherd (pastor). it is now my obligation to learn how to be the best pastor i can be. (leader, disciple, father, husband). When I begin to grow in my gifting, I "fan" the flames. Paul here says to "fan" them in to flames" i love that.

Application:
In order for me to be the best pastor I can be, I need to be a life-long learner. I need to position my heart to always be able to learn from any person or circumstance I find myself. Like David being trained in the sheep fields of Isarael for Kingship, I must learn from the places He places me

Prayer:
Lord, help me to learn from you in any way I can. I know you are so intrested in me. I know your love for me so goes before me in all I do. Will you lead me into being a great leader in your eyes? I want to fan into flames all that you gave me in hopes that one day you say to me "well done Lance" that is what i live for - I love you Jesus

No comments: